Sunday, September 20, 2015
Steps to Clean Install XP
If the above instructions for configuring your system to boot from CD
or you have acquired the necessary boot floppy/floppies; you can now
boot the computer and follow the on screen prompts. Have your Product Key
available, typical install is around 30 minutes. If setup seems to hang,
wait at least 10 minutes + before restarting system. You should experience
momentary screen blackouts.
1. Power on the computer. Press the Pause/Break key as soon as you see
text on the screen. [If you currently are running in an OS of any flavor, insert XP CD and restart computer. Skip to #3 if system is configured to boot from CD.]
2. Insert XP CD into CD drive. Press ENTER to resume booting from the XP CD.
(BIOS must support booting from CD and boot order must be set so CD boots before hard drive. If computer does not support booting from CD go to 2a for floppy install).
2a. Floppy install: Boot from Win98/Me/Special XP install floppy disk with smartdrv.exe added to the boot disk; or the Win XP set of 6 floppy disks.
3. Look for message "booting from CD" usually located at the bottom of the screen. If you have a factory splash screen, press ESC to unload
3a. Floppy install: From the A Prompt; A:\type: smartdrv.exe. then
press ENTER. If you are using the XP boot floppy setup disks skip
to step #5.
4. Press any Key when you see the prompt to "Press Any Key"
4a. Floppy install: CD to the location of the CD-ROM drive with the
XP setup files; CD to the i386 folder where you will type: winnt.exe
to start setup.
5. Setup will start copying files, if you need to install any third
- party or RAID drivers press F6 at this time. the copying of files
can take awhile.
6. Next you will get the option to repair or enter setup, choose to
enter setup. Press ENTER. To see images full size, place mouse cursor over image and click/double click or press the left button and open.
7. Press F8 if you agree to the license.
8. Setup will scan for previous Windows installations
9. If you are using the upgrade version of XP on a computer without
any version of Windows currently installed, this is where you will
replace the XP CD with your qualifying CD, XP setup will scan the
qualifying CD and instruct you to replace it with the XP CD to continue
XP setup; otherwise, you will not see this screen. Clean install
qualifying media can be any of the following Win NT3.51, 4.0, 2000,
Win 95, 98, Me. 10. Choose the location to install.
10a If this is a clean hard drive, you can choose to create a
partition in the un-partitioned space. At this point, you can allow
Setup to use all the space or set a size for the partition.
10b If the hard drive or partition has a previous installation of
XP you want to remove, choose to delete the partition by pressing
"D". You will then be prompted to create a new partition in the
empty space. This will remove all data from the delete space.
10c If you intend to use multiple partitions, or dual boot, this is
where you specify the size of the boot partition and or setup
location for XP. If you are planning to dual boot XP, I would
create a small 100 meg DOS partition for the first primary partition,
then an 8 to 10 gig partition for XP. You can partition and format
the remaining space after XP is setup from Disk Manager. If you do not
intend to dual boot, you can either use all the un-partitioned space,
or create an 8 to 10 gig partition for XP and leave the rest free to
Note: If a fat32 partition larger than 32 gigabyte is desired, the
hard drive or partition will need to be created before running XP
setup. XP will not create a fat 32 partition larger than 32 gig, but
will support one previously created.
11. Choose the file system from this screen. If dual booting and you
created the small 100 meg partition, make it a fat partition. NTFS is
configured at the optimal file size during the initial setup. See this
link for more on NTFS
12. If you have more that one partition or hard drive on your system,
make sure you are formatting the correct partition/drive.
13. Select F to continue.
14. Setup will show a progress box and reboot when copying files is
15. When you see the "Press any Key to Reboot" do not Press any Key.
If CD boots anyway, remove CD and reboot.
16. From this point, you will follow the on screen prompts.
17. If you live outside the US, you will probably need to modify the
18. Personalize your XP Enter your Name and Organization.
19. Enter the Product Key. The Key is located on the back of the CD folder
in the Retail versions, and on a holographic label with the OEM
versions purchased with a piece of hardware. Write this key down and
secure it in a safe place in case the original is misplaced destroyed
through natural causes or stupidity. 8-)
20. Choose a name for the computer, this should be a unique name for
the computer, especially if it is to be connected to a network. In Pro,
you are given the option of creating a password or leaving it blank.
21. Set your Time Zone and Time and Date.
22. Setup will scan for network.
23. If detected you will have the choice to choose a typical
configuration or custom. Choose typical if you are unsure.
24. For home you will choose your workgroup, if a network is already
established and you intend to connect to it, use the existing
workgroup name, otherwise, I suggest using the default.
25. For Pro, the same goes for Pro as suggested for Home, but you will
have the choice to join a Domain, if you do not have a Domain or do
not know leave blank.
26. Setup will continue and reboot when completed ignore the "Press
27. The loading XP window will now display after reboot.
28. You will see a change display settings, say yes, and accept the
setting if you can see the screen after accepting.
29. You will see a welcome screen, press next and unfortunately you
have to wait for the dialog to finish.
30. Set up you internet or network connection.
31. This is the Activate, Register screen. You must activate within
30 days of installing XP, but you do not ever have to register,
Registration is completely optional and if you do not register, no
personal information will be transmitted during activation. If you
register, then activation will transmit that information along with
the activation. The first Activation is usually done over the internet
if the computer is connected to the internet, otherwise, it can be
accomplished by copying the alphanumeric string from the activation
screen and make a phone call to the on screen supplied phone number.
The activation center will then give you a slightly longer number to
input into for activation. I suggest you do not activate immediately
in case you need to make hard ware changes, or install to a different
system within the thirty days, and you will be reminded on boot up
until you do.
Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet
when asked, enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet.
You can activate after the firewall is enabled.
Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you
use, Properties, and there is a check box on the Advanced page.
32. Setup users screen. Set at least one user for yourself or the person
that will be using the computer.
33. Thank You
34. Logon to XP and apply Service Pack and Critical updates from Windows
Update before installing any software or hardware.
35. Install your anti-virus software.
36. Install all applications and setup your email.
37. Restore from Files and Settings transfer after reinstalling all
Last updated 2/23/04 Michael Stevens MS-MVP
Related Articles :
- Accessories ( 13 )
- ACER ( 11 )
- AMD ( 2 )
- ANDROID 2015 ( 1 )
- ASUS ( 5 )
- BLOGGER ( 37 )
- CANON PRINTER ( 1 )
- CD DVD RW ( 23 )
- CMD ( 18 )
- DOWNLOAD ( 24 )
- EPSON PRINTER ( 2 )
- FTP Server Linux ( 6 )
- GAMES ( 8 )
- HACK ( 46 )
- HARD DRIVE ( 22 )
- Hardwaer ( 75 )
- HOME ( 6 )
- HOW TO WORKIN ( 84 )
- HP ( 1 )
- HP PRINTER ( 1 )
- INTEL ( 8 )
- INTERNET ( 63 )
- INTERNET CAFE ( 4 )
- IP-ADDRESS ( 11 )
- LAPTOP ( 27 )
- LINUX ( 45 )
- Linux as a Router ( 2 )
- LINUX LAB ( 14 )
- MICROSOFT ( 12 )
- Mobile ( 359 )
- MOTHERBOARD ( 50 )
- MOTHERBOARD DELL ( 3 )
- MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE ( 23 )
- NETWORKING ( 31 )
- NEWS ( 391 )
- PC Support ( 13 )
- PCI CARD ( 1 )
- Printer ( 6 )
- QUESTION AND ANSWER ( 12 )
- REDHAT 5 ( 16 )
- REGISTRY EDTOR ( 20 )
- RESET Bios Password ( 1 )
- SAMBA-SERVER ( 4 )
- Samsung ( 24 )
- SERVER ( 14 )
- SERVER CONFIG ( 17 )
- SERVICE MANUAL ( 40 )
- Snapdragon ( 1 )
- SOFTWAER ( 22 )
- Softwaer exporla ( 6 )
- squid proxy server Linux ( 3 )
- TUTORIALS ( 24 )
- USB ( 3 )
- VIDEO ( 3 )
- VNC server Linux ( 2 )
- Window 10 ( 16 )
- Window XP ( 127 )
- Windows 8.1 ( 9 )
- Windows Shortcuts ( 26 )
- Windows XP ( 2 )
- YouTube ( 1 )
- Yum Server Linux ( 5 )
How to configure the front panel. the cabniet has the following pin 1. GND 2, MIC in 3 Mic power 4 R-out R-r...
Apple K94 chopin 820-3069-a_ra_schematics Apple k94 chopin Apple Ipad 2 (K94 Chopin MLB 820-3069-A) Free Download Laptop Mother...
SOCKET LGA 775 PIN REPAIR METHOD. SOCKET 775 DAMAGED PIN REPAIR METHOD. Tools: 1 pair of angle point tweezers - others work but I ...
Like the BrTurbo links... there's a little bit to know what the links from Yahoo/Geocities do... or how they work... Maybe this...
Additional configuration for Samba Server Creating & Managing Users & Groups: Step-1: Create A Group Named “ sam...
Here you can find how to set up your Outpost firewall. Most of this rules I found on the internet, but some of them are mine. I...
If you wish to install php and mysql to run a phpBB installation on your computer, first you will need installers. Most of you have window...
1-10 minute guide to lotus notes mail 4.5 http://www.parsian.net/set1252/pages/books.htm 2 -10 minute guide to Microsoft exchange 5.0 h...
DELL 1545 LAPTOP BIOS PASSWORD RESET STEPS DELL INSPIRON 1545 LAPTOP BIOS RESET. PASSWORD RES...
WELL KNOWN PORT NUMBERS The Well Known Ports are assigned by the IANA and on most systems can only be used by system (or root) proc...